This is the personal blog of Adam J. Schirling, the founder and editor-in-chief of Drunken Absurdity, a revolutionary ezine. For the best in alternative literature, poetry, art, movies and more go to www.drunkenabsurdity.com. This blog is strictly for my personal rants, some dirty pics, and the occasional cool story or sweet tunes.

James Cullen Bressack's: My Pure Joy

>> Friday, August 5, 2011


A few days ago, I opened my mail box to see a brown envelope addressed to me from Sherman Oaks, California. In it contained a screener for the new serial killer flick: My Pure Joy, from 19 year old director and writer James Cullen Bressack. I had first been in touch with Mr. Bressack when he contacted me via Drunken Absurdity dot com to ask if I would be willing to screen and review his debut masterpiece, which he made on a budget of 7k. I gleefully agreed, always excited to watch an indie horror film. 
When I first sat down to watch the film(with a good friend, my lady, and a bottle of good bourbon) I kept a certain open mind, as I usually do when viewing low budget indie movies. You expect a certain degree of bad acting, bad special effects, and ridiculous one-liners.....I was, however, left stunned. The movie I viewed was equally horrifying, funny, and enchanting in a way I could not believe. The raw and pure talent oozing from the film, in the form of James's writing and directing, and the acting of Alexei Ryan, who portrayed the main character Adam, was a fucking amazing surprise.
The film introduces us to Adam, a Southern California teen, who was raised with a traumatizing upbringing, and an obsession with slasher films. Overwhelmed with his past, and armed with the creative knowledge of death at the end of a sharp knife, Adam goes to work dispacthing friends and neighbors in a very disturbing, and sometimes shockingly original, fashion. There is one method of attack that I was so surprised, and thrilled, by that I WISH I could mention, but I have promised Mr. Bressack that I will not. I will say that a bladed weapon goes somewhere that I have never seen it gone before in my years of watching horror and slasher flicks. The acting by Alexei Ryan is haunting, convincing, and pure genius. I was entranced by the character of Adam, and equally sympathetic and disturbed by him. The acting of the supporting cast ranged from adequate to very excellent. Mr. Bressack stayed true to slasher movie roots, and added a giant share of teen drinking, drug use, sex, and VERY pleasant to view nudity.
James Cullen Bressack has certainly made himself a force to be reckoned with after this debut feature. My intoxicated group, once the movie was over, could not stop talking about just what the young auteur could produce with a higher budget and more distribution. The sky would certainly be the limit. To view this movie, I would say filmmakers like Eli Roth certainly have a serious force to be reckoned with. His ability to combine terror and comedy, along with teenage angst and behavior, is both refreshing and satisfying. I will also expect to see great things from Alexei Ryan, as his ability to have the audience completely convinced of his honesty is unparalleled in any indie movie I have seen in a long time.

When the time comes, and I hope it comes soon for all you deranged souls, please view this movie. You will not fucking regret it. I am honored that James has chosen Drunken Absurdity as a platform for his marvelous work, and I have already shown film to a select circle of friends, all of whom have raved about it. well fucking done, Mr. Bressack.





2 comments:

CMM,  August 5, 2011 at 8:02 PM  

Couldn't agree more. I was amazed the film was done on such a limited budget. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Unknown August 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

awesome review - your description makes me really want to see it. Who doesn't love a good, raunchy, creepy and deranged horror flick?

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
New England, United States
Freelance writer and poet. Founder and Editor in Chief of Drunken Absurdity. President of Drunken Absurdity LLC

About This Blog

All media displayed on this site is the property of the originators, and I hold ownership only over my own media and those of Drunken Absurdity LLC






Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP