This is the personal blog of Adam J. Schirling, the founder and editor-in-chief of Drunken Absurdity, a revolutionary ezine. For the best in alternative literature, poetry, art, movies and more go to www.drunkenabsurdity.com. This blog is strictly for my personal rants, some dirty pics, and the occasional cool story or sweet tunes.

A Veterans day rant from a true Veteran: My friend, brother, and fellow Iraq vet Andrew Jones

>> Friday, November 11, 2011


THE FOLLOWING RANT IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART:


Veteran's Day. The day that has been deemed the one day out of every year that society decides they will actually smile at me. They will tell me "Thank you Marine." They will offer free meals and decent discounts and welcome me. I guess it's the least they can do since the other 364 days out of the year, minus maybe July 4th and the Marine Corp...s Birthday for those who know when that is, society would rather look the other way from me. They would rather hire the next guy who didn't fight in a war and won't "snap" one day. They want me to integrate myself back into their ways and customs and seemingly forget what it is I went through for them. What my family went through, what my Brothers in Arms went through AND what we CONTINUE to go through. Our fight doesn't stop when we come home. That's when our fight begins. Our fight with our thoughts, our memories, our violent impulses, our rage and our anger. And all the while we are dealing with these internal issues, society wants to shun us. They are afraid of us. The ever so bold spit at us. And it is OUR responsibility to integrate back into a society like this? Why? Haven't I sacrificed enough? I volunteer to fight for YOUR freedom and ONE day out of the year you decide you'll hook me up with a free meal at Applebee's? (Which I will be getting by the way). And to top it off, you confuse this one day you are ever so kind to grant me. Saying things like, "Today we remember our fallen warriors." WRONG DAY DOUCHE BAG!!! That would be Memorial Day! Today is VETERAN'S DAY! I think about my fallen Brothers on a daily basis, but they already have their own calendar day. Today is MY calendar day. So to society I tell you this: YOU'RE FUCKING WELCOME! Because tomorrow will just be another day to you. It will be November 12. Nothing special, no obligation to say anything to a Vet or to smile his way or maybe give him a free meal. But for us... it's the same day as today, as yesterday, as every other day we have endured since we came home. Another day of fighting with our impulses, our rage and our anger. Another night of lying in bed replaying horrific memories, fearing what dreams may come that night. Another day of fighting back tears and cries of fury. Another day when society fears us and turns their heads. So to those of you who say "Thank you", I truly hope you have an understanding of what it is you are saying thank you for.
 
Andrew R. Jones
USMC combat veteran

4 comments:

Andrew Jones,  November 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM  

This guy seems like a fucking asshole!

Adam J. Schirling November 11, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

indeed he is. which is why he is my friend

Unknown November 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

thank you for sharing, thank you for serving and thank you for your sacrifices. <3 Im sorry people are such assholes :(

Anonymous,  November 11, 2011 at 7:51 PM  

It is what it is. Sometimes you just gotta vent about it. And you're fucking welcome! :)

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
New England, United States
Freelance writer and poet. Founder and Editor in Chief of Drunken Absurdity. President of Drunken Absurdity LLC

About This Blog

All media displayed on this site is the property of the originators, and I hold ownership only over my own media and those of Drunken Absurdity LLC






Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP